Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Beyond the stone wall

I hiked out beyond the stone wall that has quartz and other strange stones in it. There was one cairn going up the hill:



A small one, but very nice. Climbing up the hill - mountain, really - most of the features I found were natural.

A huge outcrop inhabited by a porcupine. That is the largest pile of porcupine scat I've ever seen in my life:



Interesting limestone formation:


A split in the outcrop just behind the huge one:




I couldn't tell if the stones around the split were naturally deposited there or intentionally placed. It was too steep to try to investigate between there.

I thought this huge outcrop preceded the top of the mountain, but once I got above it, the mountain continued to rise at another outcrop, and private land. I was getting tired and thought, if I missed some cairns, they might be at the same elevation as the one I had seen on the way up. So, I headed back down the mountain, on the eastern side.

But, before that, there was this one stone on the flat before the last rise...



...and there were some 'rock on rock' structures on the flat. This one looked kind of 'fish like' to me. I flipped this picture around to get the right angle. It seems odd to have a possible fish effigy at this elevation, but the runoff from this mountain flows down into the West Branch of the Delaware River, so maybe there is some connection:



Wow, that's distracting!

Then, going down the mountain, all natural, I think, but impressive:






You might be able to see my half meter stick leaning against that stone in this picture:



When I headed back, I walked down to the stone wall parallel to the one with all the odd stones in it. Now finding that this is actually something like an enclosure, there are quite a few apple trees at the western end of the enclosure, and a swamp outside of the enclosure, to the north. The swamp seems to be enclosed by another stone wall structure.

Well, I'm having a hard time describing all of this. There is a lot in this area, near the road, and the argument can easily be made that it's all colonial. I'm familiar with something on the other side of the main road that is like a foundation. But I still get the sense of 'construction on construction' here.

Going down the other wall, a rock pile near a break in the wall. I'm always suspicious of these and this is the third one I've found in this (about 2 mile) area:



This gorgeous red rock on top of the wall:



And, another stone wall nearby (the one that is around the swamp) goes over boulder here. Although this looks like a rock pile, it's really part of the stone wall:

No comments: