Wednesday, September 3, 2008

A little site in Steam Mill SF

This is a little site I found just off the trail in Steam Mill State Forest. I'm unsure about the origin, whether these may be Native American, colonial, or a little of both, but I thought they were worth posting.

This particular section of trail, from the start, has several colonial foundations along the way. After ascending a short distance, it seemed as though I was away from the "homestead". I found this right along the trail:



I headed uphill (in the general direction of west), off the trail, and a short distance away was this pile:



Then this pile (a little blurry):



Somewhat perpendicular, but not an "L" shape, really making more like a "T", a line of piles heading, generally, south:



So, now following this line of piles, there was this pile, with the wood in it, making it look like this line is a colonial fence row (consistent with all of the foundations nearby):



Another pile in the row of piles:



But, then there was this, a small pile in the foreground, that was not in a row with anything...



...and these, rocks on a boulder, that were "in line with the north-south row":



Here is a video about 2 minutes long, starting at the boulder with rocks on it, then heading north, to show the row and the one pile that is not in any row.



Once I continued up the trail, I was a bit disappointed to find one more foundation, just past this small site:



So, I'm a little rusty from not being out in the woods much this summer, but I'm still suspicious that there is something more to this little spot than just a colonial farmer building a fence.

2 comments:

Tim MacSweeney said...

The dog put it all into perspective for me...

theseventhgeneration said...

He does that for me, too! He's always happy to get out, no matter what we find, or don't find!