Tuesday, October 30, 2007

5 rock piles

Here are some photos of the last 5 rock piles in this area. The first two are just stone piles with no obvious form:





This pile had a side with interesting stacking:



One seemed to form more of a wall than a stone pile, and made me think it could be a seat because of the very slight curve to the stacked stones. I also read something recently that said a structure like this could be a decorative garden wall (colonial), but I question if that could be the case with this structure:



One pile had really nice form to it - definitely a cairn:



This is the same cairn, where you can see one of the open L or boat rudder shaped rocks in the pile. You may have to click on the photo to enlarge it:



That pile also had what appears to be a niche, and possibly even a see through niche, in it. This is the entire niche structure:



This is one side of the niche:



This is the other side - not as pronounced as the other side:



I have more exploring to do in this area, and I know I will be back around these stones again, now that the leaves are coming off the trees. Hopefully, I will find some more stone piles here.

My next post is going to be about effigies I have found. I was going to wait to post anything about effigies, but I just found something really spectacular (at least I think it's spectacular!), so I'm going to post that next.

No comments: