Saturday, October 20, 2007

One more stone pile and an aperture

Heading to the South or Southeast of the last large cairn in the group from my last post:



Which, incidentally, every time I take a walk up this way, I come to this cairn. It's not intentional - I'm usually looking for something new, that I overlooked the last time I was out, and I always seem to find this cairn. It may be because there is barely any underbrush around this cairn and it's easy walking near and around it, but I just find it interesting that, in the middle of no where, 'all roads lead to this cairn'.

So, when I came to this smaller cairn, I was excited because I had not noticed it before at this site. It is near a stone wall that borders an area that has been completely, well, let's say 'revamped', by the State:



This small cairn seemed to have a lot of character. A possible niche to one side of the pile:



A nice upright rock to the side of the pile:



And, the stones at the top of the pile seemed to have something to say:






I couldn't help but notice that large, flat rock at the top had the shape of something like an arrowhead:






So, what was the pile saying? It was the combination of shapes at the top of the pile, saying 'look at me':



Looking up from the pile, I could not see anything obvious through the brush:




So, I walked in the general direction of the pointer at the top of that pile, and came to a stone wall, and found this:



Here is a close up of that aperture:




Looking back from the stone wall toward the pile, I could just barely make out the pile through the brush - I did not get a photo looking that way because the stone pile was not visible enough to show up in a photo - but I think I'll go back in the winter and see how it looks then.

I was very excited to find this. It is the first aperture I have found. I am quite certain it was there for the purpose of that stone pile, and probably the entire cairn field that lies just to the Northwest of this stone wall.

No comments: