Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Some effigies

Of the effigies I've noticed in the woods since I've been looking at rock structures, all have been of animals and, until now, all have been 2-D. Two of the rocks, I've posted pictures of already. The animal head on the cairn at the Logan site (maybe a deer or maybe it's just a coincidence that it has this shape), and another animal head, not far from the Logan site, that also may be just a coincidence.





The rock that is on the ground, I think looks like a wolf head, but my friend's 6 year old son looked at it and said "that's a turtle!". He thought the part that looks like a dog ear was the turtle tail and the part that looks like a dog nose looks like the turtle's head. So, that stone, too, is probably just a coincidence, especially since it is on the ground - not next to or on any other rocks - but I still like the stone.

This next stone is a rock on rock formation very close to a logging road. I thought it looked like an eagle when I first found it. This one, too, may be coincidence.



This one is a rock on rock, and, I believe, is much less of a coincidence than the other rocks in the pictures above. I thought it was a duck, but I've had other people say it could be a bird sitting on a nest or egg:



The eagle and bird rocks are in Delaware State Forest, not far from the large cairn site.

This next rock is the one that made me want to post about effigy rocks. It is, finally, a 3-D rock, but only if viewed from a very certain angle, much like the chalk drawings on sidewalks, done by professionals.

The location of this rock is, dare I say, prophetic. You can see the flat area just below the tree line in the background. This is an area of silt, covered with young grass and weeds which have just sprouted from the receding reservoir. The area is full of waterfowl dung.



I didn't notice it was an effigy of a duck until I got home and loaded the pictures on the computer. My first reaction was "Whoa". When I was at the site, I was getting close up pictures of this rock because I did notice that it was placed on the boulder, and that has a different color than the boulder. But, I thought it was placed in a spot to give the front view of the boulder a look like a bear's head - at the nostrils. I also hadn't noticed that the duck head was propped by two small stones. You can see it better in the photo here, especially if you click on it to enlarge it:



There is a reason why I wanted to look for stones at the reservoir, and I will post more on that tomorrow. This rock is on NY City owned land, but it is connected to Delaware State Forest on the East and Northeast sides. The name of the town? Rock Royal, NY.

No comments: