Thursday, October 4, 2007

More from 'Exploring'

I went to the area of the high elevation that is 7/10ths of a mile away from the cairn/stone pile in my last post. The measuring stick in these photos is my 4 ft long stick with 1 foot divisions that I use as a hiking stick.

Instead of hiking in the 7/10ths of a mile from the cairn, I went into this site from another road, which is closer to where the rectangular cairn or stone pile is located.

A colonial foundation is closest to the road. I even found a claw from a claw foot bathtub here:



And I found this stone right next to the foundation - I believe this is a quartz cobble, but please correct me if I'm wrong:




200 feet away, and farther into the woods, I found an interesting rock formation or structure that I am having trouble describing. I cannot tell what purpose it may have had. It has some features I've never seen before. The four main, identifiable structures are: A stone pile or seat with a stone lined 'channel' that leads from it, a stone lined hole, an S shaped stone wall (located at the top of the bank, and the bottom of the "S" leads to the stone lined hole), and an area that I call the 'patio' because it is very flat and is lined by only a single layer of neatly laid stone.

I made a drawing of the site:




This is a picture of the stone pile that I call a 'seat':



To the left of the stone seat, forming the side of the 'channel' opposite the bank is this small stacked stone. The fact that it was made of laid up stone was not obvious, so I uncovered it just to take this photo:



This is a picture of some of the stone that lines the 'patio':



These two photos show part of the stacked stone that makes up the "S" shaped stone structure:





These are two of the rocks that were inside the S shaped structure. There were others around, but these two caught my eye:






This is the stone hole that is at the bottom of the 'S' in the S-shaped structure, and to the right of the 'channel' from the stone seat:






There is a stone wall that runs up from the S shaped structure. It is not attached to it, but does run in the same direction as the top of the "S". The wall is about 350 feet long.

This is what the far end of the stone wall looks like, at the top of the hill:




Where the stone wall ends, you can look up and about 100 feet away is this boulder. The compass on my GPS showed the split to line up near 250 degrees true, so this may have some association with the Winter Solstice Sunset:









There were lots of other boulders around, and this is one that was to the left of the split boulder (as you face it from the 'point'):




I liked the stacked stone on top of that boulder, so I took a close up of it:



See that small upright rock to the left of the stack in the picture above? That was a common theme at this site. Here is a boulder with one:



Then, another boulder had this same feature and, under the upright rock and boulder was this:




It reminded me of a 'mini-shrine' to this stone:




This is one of the boulders to the 'right' of the split boulder:



Then, at the 'back' of the boulder shown above, is another stone lined hole:






Farther around the other side of the high elevation I found a stone pile, and another stone wall:






I didn't follow this stone wall all the way down, so I don't know how long it is. But I do know that on my second trip to this site, I did not cross over it to get to the marker pile site. However, on my trip back from the marker pile site, I did have to pass over another stone wall that was right next to the rectangular stone pile that I was looking for. I am going to post the marker piles and rectangular stone pile separately. The marker piles are about 700 feet away from this boulder site.

I made a map of this entire site, to try to give you an idea of how it is laid out. It is a very interesting area.

No comments: