Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Exploring

The same day I found the platform cairn, I decided to do a little exploring on the way home. I took a one lane 'dead end' (sort of) dirt road that I noticed on the map, but have never been down before. From looking at the map, I thought there should be 'something' in that neck of the woods. The road cuts through the north-south line of rock piles I've been seeing in that area.

The first interesting thing I saw was this stone wall. I took this picture right out of the window of my truck. This part of the wall is the only thing left. The rest of it has been bulldozed, apparently to widen the road.



The best way to describe the wall is 'petite'. This is one structure I will visit again to put the meter stick against it, so you can get an idea of the small size. The round rock with the triangular rock next to it reminds me of an ice cream cone on it's side.



Not too far from the stone wall, and on the same side (north) of the road, was this foundation:




Right across the road from the foundation was this 'cairn attached to a rock pile'. It is at an altitude of 1741 ft and I am not aware of any water source nearby, but I need to investigate this area more. Here is a picture of just the cairn:



This is a view where I was standing a little further to the north, showing some of the rock pile:



And this is even further to the north, turning away from the cairn:



This is the 'other side' of the cairn - I believe it is the eastern side, but don't quote me on that:



This is how the structure looks as you approach it from the road (walking from north to South):



I tried to get a panoramic view of the stone pile and cairn, as you face it from the west, looking east, generally speaking (it may be more like the southwest to the northeast). Anyway, the camera battery was so low at this point, I think I heard the camera scream at me 'you want me to do what'?? Plus, I am terrible at lining up leaves, sticks and stones from one picture to the next - but this is what I got:



The foundation is only 218 ft from the rock pile/cairn. But, I understand there is another stone pile or cairn to the southwest of this one - up the hill to an elevation of over 2000 feet - and possibly even more rock piles at the top of that hill - I can't wait - another place to go explore!!

I just couldn't leave this part out. My adventure that day started with a very quick hike on a logging road. Only a few minutes into the hike, I found that, literally, someone had 'lost their marbles' right there on the path.



I decided not to go any farther down the path at that point, and turned around and left. I guess it was a good choice!

2 comments:

pwax said...

An interesting story with the marbles. The cairn and rock pile look to me more like two cairns, with one of them destroyed. Also I am noticing this might be an example of a structure where the gap between the two piles was important. I have seen some sites where such gaps are the predominant pattern.

Anyway, I am enjoying your blog.

Did someone tell you about this site before you saw it?

theseventhgeneration said...

Thank you for pointing out the pile-gap-pile. I've seen and read about that on your Rock Piles blog and had not thought about it with this site until you said it!

No, this site is completely new to me and I just stumbled on it. From looking at the map, I thought I would find something further to the west than where this cairn is located. Once I got on the road, I thought I was more likely to find something in the area where this cairn was, just based on the landscape. When I first saw it, I was still driving. It was visible from the road, even through the trees.

The other site, that is southwest and up the hill from this cairn, I have not yet seen. I heard about that site from Don Windsor. From what I understand, that site is about 7/10ths of a mile away from this cairn.

Thanks for your comments and support!