Friday, November 7, 2008

To Effigy or not to Effigy

I recently posted a new site on Rock Piles, a place I visited last spring, but missed the best site on the top of the mountain.

This is a structure I found in this same general vicinity. Leading up the mountain, some rocks on a boulder. Here is a side view. When I find something like this, I'm always looking for an effigy:

Here's a view from the top. For a long time, I thought this doesn't look like anything I can relate to:
But now, I'm wondering...
...if this looks like:

This image is from Jodrell Bank Observatory.

Well, it's known commonly as Orion, but some call him Long Sash.


Tim MacSweeney said...

The Mayan called it the "Great Turtle." The crack in its back, what we call the Belt, was where the world was created from. I think I have some old posts about that...

theseventhgeneration said...

Thanks for the comment and reference! I found your post here: Waking Up on Turtle Island
This is so interesting because I've been finding "turtles" here and there along that ridge that seems to have hints of celestial parallels. Before I finished reading your second post ("Speck and Pleiades"), I said to myself "mounds!!" when talking about the seven stones.