Friday, March 19, 2010

Stone U

I went up to the stone U by the creek last night. It's a few days before the spring equinox, but I may try to get out someplace different to hike this weekend, so a quick visit while I had the time seemed in order. Plus, there's no guarantee that the sun will be shining Sunday night.

Just a couple of pictures of the sunset. First, taken right near the ground at the back of the U. It looks like the U is facing the sunset...

...but it's offset a little, as this next picture shows.

So, I've added some lines to enhance the stone structures. There is a stone wall or row in front of the U. For a video of part of that row, click here.

The wall is outlined in red and the U is outlined in blue. The sunset is offset from the U but looks like it comes through the break in the wall if you're sitting at the U. I wonder if that's intentional or a coincidence?

3 comments:

pwax said...

I note with interest your mentioning the sun coming through the gap in the wall. I am circling in on believing something about sunlight and shadow; and wall gaps are common near some of the sites I have been looking at.

theseventhgeneration said...

Just to clarify, too, this structure is part of a much larger site that includes several very large cairns, many of which have hollows built into them, a wall bulge (which is the closest thing I've found to a rock pile with a tail - but I'm still looking over my pictures), a steep bank with little piles all over it, and I'm sure there are other things I'm forgetting right now. The ridge that extends south from this spot is where I have some of the best *luck* exploring. There are also several sites across the valley, on the range to the west (where this sunset is), which also extend to the south. I still have a lot of exploring to do over there as well.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.