Wednesday, April 21, 2010

More from Google Earth

I've been going around Google Earth, zooming down to eye level where sites are located and then switching on the "show sunlight across landscape" feature.

Here is a site I've been keeping an eye on for a while. This image is a satellite view from Google Earth. The circular things in the field are rock piles, overgrown with brush.Here is the same satellite view, but I've added a color code:
-Red: Summer solstice sunset
-Blue: Winter solstice sunset
-Purple: Spring and fall equinox sunsets
I also put a green circle around the rock pile in the far northeastern corner. It lines up with the winter solstice line of rock piles, but it's not in any of my photos here.I should also add that I have not yet investigated the line that juts out into the field, highlighted in purple. From a better (birds eye) view, it looks like two rock piles and then a depression, but it's safe to say that whatever is there is not tillable, hence the tree. Also, of the piles I looked at, I did not notice any stacking, but it is hard to see with all the brush.

There are better rock piles in the northeast corner of the field, in the woods. When I first found this site, I posted pictures of those rock piles and also of the stone row along the eastern end of the field at the Rock Piles blog, link here.

This past fall, I took some photos in the field. This view is standing next to the rock pile in the satellite view that has all 3 color circles around it, red, blue and purple:Zooming down with Google Earth, a similar angle with the June 21st sunset on the horizon:Standing at the same rock pile in the first photo, but looking to the southwest (blue line of piles):Eye level with Google Earth on the 12-21 sunset:This last one is hard to see on Google Earth because the pine tree doesn't show up. I do think there is some relationship with the equinoxes here. First, the same photo as above, but with a red arrow drawn from the top rock pile to the pine tree that is at the end of the untillable row:The Google Earth view on March 21st and September 21st (using the horizon as more of a guide than the pine tree):So, here it is again:While you may not agree with the way I'm presenting this (it's definitely unscientific), just looking at the evidence (photos and images) sets up a better argument for alignments rather than "coincidental field clearing piles". There are stone walls around the north and east ends of the field, so why would a farmer align rock piles in the middle of his field this way?

3 comments:

pwax said...

Really great example. It is like Mavor and Dix compressed into a few photos.

Lisa Cacicia said...

Simply brillant idea (wish I would have thought of it) and have the perfect place here to experiment with this feature.

theseventhgeneration said...

Thanks! I'm glad google earth updated this feature to allow you to adjust the date. Occasionally, I take photos of the horizon at or near sites (if the view presents itself). Now I'm going back through my photos, doing the google earth view from the ground and finding some awesome features. A commonality seems to be the sun either rising from or setting just before a slope in a distant mountain on these significant dates. The best part is, I'm finding it with more than one date/time at each site (if it's present). So for one site I've found the sun rising from behind a slope on all 3 dates: 12/21, 3 and 9/21 and 6/21. At another site, the sun rises near a V on 12/21 and sets near a V on 12/21...and so forth.