Monday, April 16, 2012

Maggie Hoag Rd.

This is a new DEP area open for hiking. I stumbled on it when riding around the back roads of Delhi (the same Delhi, NY which is the setting in "My Side of the Mountain"). Because I only had a few minutes to explore, I can only say that this is a south-southwest facing mountain, and the site is between an outcrop and a swamp, at a decent elevation (about 2200 feet). Not surprising, the rock piles I found were all pretty small (I say this because my experience is that east facing rock piles I've found are generally larger). Here are some pictures:

This one is closer to the outcrop than the others:This is a very large boulder at the site, with only a few rocks on top:I should mention, too, that it is very, very dry in the woods right now.
The funny part is, I found a couple of mylar balloons at the site, which is also common. I think it has something to do with the elevation. At any rate, I picked them up and put them in my back pocket, along with the white ribbon. After my hike, I headed over to the local grocery store to buy a sandwich and, after checking out, found that I was walking around with this very long ribbon trailing out of the back of my pants!


pwax said...

are there pieces of quartz in the piles?

theseventhgeneration said...

No, none that I saw, anyway. I did not take the time to sweep off any leaves, though. Quartz in piles is pretty rare around here. I have a theory that, because quartz is not easily found around here, it was taken out of many of the piles because it's so novel. Now, I have no way to prove this, but it's a thought I've had, so I figured I'd mention it.