Monday, December 24, 2007

Bah! Humbug!

It rained last night and, in our yard, about 75% of the snow was gone. I was so excited, I woke up at 3 a.m. waiting to go out and get some great pictures.

There is a huge difference between fields at 1800 ft. and the forest at 2000 ft. The forest still had at least 6 inches of snow everywhere and a thick crust of ice over it. Nevertheless, I took a walk and got a few pictures. Some of them are nice, but I wasn't able to map the grid that I have been longing to see again, without the snow.



This picture is of a rock pile along the upper East Branch of the Cold Spring Creek, where it issues down from the large cairn site and grid in Delaware State Forest. It's one that I've never seen before, so I have no idea what it looks like without the snow. I was using my 4 foot measuring stick again. I seem to have misplaced my half meter stick since the porcupine incident!

I'll be posting a few photos here after I finish posting a few more on the small cairn field from this fall. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone!

No comments: