Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Small cairns

Here are some photos of a small cairn site in Masonville. The row runs roughly north-south on the western side of a hill. This is a hill that, eventually, leads up to the large cairn site in Delaware State Forest.

Two things about these cairns I feel I need to point out. One is that there is a stone row that leads up to the row of cairns, from the north side. I don't know that the stone row is actually a stone wall because it doesn't connect to anything. The stone row is also very low, and about 20 yards long. The other thing is that these cairns, as well as the stone row that leads up to them, were so buried under ferns and forest debris, that I didn't even know they were there until I started being more observant to rocks in the woods.

Here is a picture of part of the stone row that I uncovered. You can faintly see the line between the exposed rocks and the rocks that were covered.



Here are a few photos of some of the cairns. In the first one, my rock pile hunting buddy was climbing on the downed tree just above the cairn.





These 2 are farthest south in the row. They are more like small rock piles instead of cairns. There is also a lot of gravel around these piles.




I'll have more from this site over the next several days.

1 comment:

pwax said...

The gravel is very unusual.