Saturday, January 3, 2009

Near an old farmstead

I followed a series of stone walls that have a strange mix of rock piles, cairns, a few small boulders and stone wall that go uphill, toward an old farmstead. The farmstead is on the western end of the large cairn site that I explore often. There's one spot here, close to the farmstead, where the pines are thick and there is a lot of underbrush, so I haven't walked through this little spot yet. I was surprised to find traces of something going on here, other than a clear (of rocks) flat spot that I would expect so close to a farmstead.

The small white hump in the middle of the picture is a rock that somewhat "points to" the rock pile in the background, either accidentally or deliberately.
A close up of that rock pile in the background:

This boulder is along the rock pile/cairn/stone row, not far from the rock piles in the previous photos. I can't help but think the placement of the upright stone is deliberate. That is my half meter stick in the photos. I should mention, too, that there are some spots of (spring?) water up there, too. The elevation is above 1800 feet.
The pictures aren't very good, I'll admit, it was too sunny and in the middle of the day. But what a nice walk on such a bitterly cold day!

No comments: