Monday, May 4, 2009

Stone wall, Johnny Brook


A long ride up a one lane dirt trail to the top, and I was disappointed with what I found. First, because I've heard there are cairns somewhere in Johnny Brook. Second, on the west side of the trail, there is a small area to hike and it was thoroughly logged before it was sold to the city, so there was not much to see, although the area looked promising on the map. Here is one rock pile that I found on the west side of the trail (my 4 ft hiking stick in the photo, to keep the seedling out of the way to show that crack in the bottom rock):
Over to the east side, there is a stone wall going east-west. Although the ends of the wall are not connected to any other wall, there are two walls going north-south, connected near the middle. That, along with the barbed wire, gave the area a very agrarian look.

So, rather than post nothing this week, I thought I'd post some pictures of this very nice wall and area.
(Half meter stick in photo below)
Two spots where the north-south walls meet this east-west wall (this photo and the next):
If you click on this photo to enlarge it, you can see something very artistic here. The semi-upright rocks along the top of the wall lean toward the junction of the two walls.
Where the wall goes uphill, just off to the side of this outcrop (next 2 pictures):


The eastern end of the wall.
I couldn't follow the north-south walls because that land is posted. Here are a few things just off the wall.

My favorite (notice the outcrop in the background):



2 comments:

Tim MacSweeney said...

I can't help but think "snake" when I look at that stone row, especially when you mention how it's not connected to the other stone rows (and I obviously replace the word wall with row too)...

theseventhgeneration said...

Here's a link to a map of the area (250K PDF): Barbour Brook. This wall is right where the word "Boundary" is on the map. So I've got 2 strikes against me for trying to prove something other than farming or property line about the wall. I go by the "chicken or the egg?" theory when it comes to these stone rows, but I think in this case it would have been better if I could have explored more to the south, up to that creek head (which is Johnny Brook).

At some point I will go back out there and look around more to the east, and further north in the State-owned land. I could see cairns on private land when I first headed south, up the trail, so I know there is something out there, I just have to find it where I can hike up to it.