Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Three stone walls near a spring

Here is a wall I've driven by a few times and have been amazed at how steep it is here and why anyone would want to build a stone wall on such a steep grade.

This is taken from the dirt road, looking down. It doesn't do the grade justice. It's very steep here:

The first wall is not very long and ends here, just a short distance from the road. The second wall starts, attached to a boulder that is half underground. You can just see the beginning of the second wall off to the right in this photo:

This is a picture of where the second wall attaches to the half underground boulder:

And this is the end of the second wall.

The third wall starts just off of the second wall, making the opening between the two look something like a cart path.

Here is a picture of the end of the third wall. There is a spring runoff in the foreground, right where this wall ends.

This is a close up of the end stone on the last wall:


This video is 4.5 minutes long and is of my walk back up toward the road, past the two lower walls and around the boulder:



A couple of things. First, I did pick up the tire. Second, in the video I referred to the stones under the boulder to the right of the "boulder attached to the wall" as a split, but I'm not certain if that is truly a split rock under there or two separate stones. I have to go back with a flashlight and have a better look under that boulder. This site is on the south eastern end of a mountain (near the base), just above Steam Mill Branch (creek).

Also, I was kind of disappointed when I found this. Disappointed that the second wall appears to be attached to the boulder so as to make something like a pathway between the first and second walls (colonial looking). Disappointed that the boulder attached to the wall appears to be more than half buried by the bank. I kept thinking it would look so much more impressive if the boulder was exposed. But as I've been thinking about this since I found it, and mentally digesting it, what makes that middle wall interesting is that it looks like a serpent going underground.

2 comments:

Norman said...

The first thing I thought about after viewing a blowup of the first wall, noticing the zigzags, is that it might represent a serpent. Serpent imagery is common in the Northeast, and when you mentioned one of the walls entering or leaving the ground, I thought of one of the walls at the Oley Hills site that actually seems to emerge from the ground, curve, and then engage a large cairn built on top of an unusual looking boulder.

theseventhgeneration said...

Thanks! I will be going out to this spot to look around some more. This was just a quick stop on the way out to see another place near Barbour Brook where I've heard there are some cairns, which I still have not found!