Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Stone piles at Snell

Leaving the high stone wall and walking further uphill, I encountered one more low stone wall before reaching the summit. This one starts (or maybe this is the end) on top of an outcrop. You might have to click on the image to see the start of the row between the two large ash trees, center and left:Here is what it looks like from the top, overlooking the boulder/outcrop. This is a two shot panorama. The horizon has a dip in it, similar to the standing stone in the last post:Just to clarify, I am very familiar with this area and where this dip in the horizon is located. So, although the photos may not show it well, I have personal knowledge of the location and appearance.

After that low stone row, I went up to the summit. I was surprised to find a smeared out rock pile right at the summit.Then, descending further to the north, but going back down the western side of the mountain, there is this rock pile just a bit below the summit (summit is visible in the background). Half meter stick is near the pile for scale:Further down, below another ridge of outcrop, was this pile with a "hollow":
So that is all I have for this post. There is one more structure in this area and I'll post about it another time. It's a stone U that is further down the mountain, closer to some agrarian looking stone walls that end mysteriously and don't enclose anything. But, for now, I'll leave you with a nice shot overlooking one of the stone rows that follows the outcrop ridge, looking down to the next level:

3 comments:

pwax said...

Did the rock pile with a hollow have an outline shape (like rectangular, oval, circular)?

pwax said...

Some nice photos, and some great finds. It is too bad it is not easier to create a map.

theseventhgeneration said...

The rock pile with the hollow appeared to be circular, but I should get back out there with less snow, to see if there are some rocks around the outlier that I am missing.

Thanks! I would have to go back out to get more details before I'd consider a map. There are features all along the north-south range (such as this site, which is nearby, but closer to the summit just north of this one). I'd have to make several adjoining maps, or else I wouldn't know where to stop and start.