Thursday, September 13, 2007

Boulder site

This is a boulder site about a mile away from the cairn site in my 9/10 post.


The first picture is of the northeastern most boulder I photographed.



This was an interesting feature of another boulder at the site.




Some of the boulders had crevices between them. This one was of particular interest to me because the direction of the crevice is true north. The photos below show the crevice looking into the boulder field and out of the boulder field.




This is a niche in the bottom of one of the boulders.






The next two photos are of a natural 'stone bridge' at this site. The first photo looks through the stone bridge, into the boulder field. The niche in the previous two photos was visible through the stone bridge. It's difficult, if not impossible, to see the niche in the photo. The second photo of the stone bridge is looking out of the boulder field. I was standing on top of the boulder with the niche in the base to get the photo of the stone bridge looking out.





>



The next two photos are of two 'dens' under boulders that face each other. This site was a little scary because both dens are inhabited by animals.





Fortunately, the big animal wasn't home!



This is a photo of the smaller den in the background. I was trying to get a good photo of the upright rocks, but they were very close to the boulder and that made it hard to get a good angle to focus. When I was at the site, I didn't notice any alignments with these stones. Since then, I've mapped this site and the den site is at 282 degrees true to the niche. The niche, however, does not face the dens. The niche faces the Stone Bridge at 28 degrees true.



This is the southwestern most boulder I photographed. It is right next to the water source and the dens. There is a niche or den to the right (being used by a woodchuck).



This last photo is of the water source next to this site. There was no running water when I took this photo, but there was some water pooled below.



Within the next few days I plan on getting a few more pictures posted of rock piles north of this site.

No comments: