Saturday, September 29, 2007

The South Side

I went rock hunting on the South Side of the truck trail to find a platform cairn that I had read about. I didn't find it on my first hunt out there, but I did find a lot of boulders on a bank above a stream, as well as stone that was under foot everywhere. The bank is moist, with lots of water, either runoff or spring water (I'm not sure which) coming out in quite a few places. It runs off into Lander's creek, that feeds into the Susquehanna.

I took quite a few pictures of the boulders in this area, but the pics are dark because of the pines at this site, and the boulders are covered with ferns, moss and saplings so it's hard to tell if there is any stone on these boulders. Here's a pic of one of the boulders:



This particular boulder had an interesting feature to it...



...stacked stone to make somewhat of an enclosure on this side. Sorry about the ferns in front of the stacked stone - I was a bit nervous about something living under there - it looked 'occupied'.



These two rocks, well, I'm not sure if this is natural or man-made. There is so much stone around under foot here, this is probably just natural, but it is interesting.



Then there was this stone, which speaks for itself:



The second time I went to this area, I had success. I was 300 to 800 feet away from the boulder field in the photos above.

This is a cairn I found in an unusual spot - near what appeared to be a colonial foundation (complete with an old garbage dump), the main road, and also near boulders.





Here is a boulder that has some of the old glass bottles on it:




And this is the stone that appears to make up the colonial foundation, I think:




Then there is the platform cairn that seems to be by itself, about 450 ft. to the north of the cairn near the road and around 800 ft to the Northwest of the boulder field that has the boulder with the small stacked stone enclosure.

This picture is of the cairn at a distance:



This is a view from what I call the 'front' which is actually the lowest side of the slope/platform cairn.



This is the same side, but a little bit more to the right - I was trying to get a good photo of the stacked stone to the right of the boulder, which appears to have a niche in it - the downed tree was getting in my way.



These are two close up views of the niche that appears on the right side in the photo above:






On the upper or top side of the cairn is this rock, that is shaped like a bowl. I took some pine needles out of it to get an idea of the depth.




And here are two pictures of the top side of the cairn - one looking like the stone is not stacked (or was stacked and collapsed) and the other photo showing some stacking is still obvious:







I'm still not sure what to think about this large platform cairn. It seemed esoteric and beautiful.

I found a few more things that day, but will post those separately, since they are in a different area.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I'm curious -- what kind of camera do you use, because some look flash assisted and others do not?
A digital camera will accomodate itself to low light levels and give detail even in dark areas. But in some of your images the darks are pitch black.

Norman

Anonymous said...

You might think of making yourself a meter stick, with 10cm divisions indicated in black and white or white and red, and place this horizontally in front of a stone feature you are photographing. I use either a meter stick or a 50cm stick. That way, the person viewing your images can have a good idea how large something is.

Norman

theseventhgeneration said...

I do have a digital camera - it's an HP R717. The flash usually does go off when I'm taking pictures because most areas I've been in have heavy leaf cover right now. The camera gives options for taking photos (action, landscape, etc) but I usually forget to set it ahead of time, and I think that's the problem - it defaults to 'action' and these are definitely not action photos! I will play around with different settings next time I go out, to see if I can get a better image. Also, I hope some of the leaves are gone by next weekend!

theseventhgeneration said...

I did get around to making a stick, but I wasn't sure what size divisions to make on it, so I have one that is 4 feet with only 4 sections on it (white and red). I just tried it out yesterday, and it seems like 1 ft per section is too large. So I am going to change it to 10 cm per section. Would a 120 cm stick work okay? I like using it as a hiking stick, so the 120 cm length is nice for hiking, but I'm not sure how it will look in the photos. Thank you so much for the input!

pwax said...

That is quite a platform. With all the details, is there any way you could sketch its outline?

pwax said...

I often wish a meter stick was NOT used because the scale can be pretty evident from the leaves and a meter stick spoils a nice photo.

theseventhgeneration said...

I could give the sketch a try. I'm not sure I could do it justice, though! If I can get together something that looks decent enough to post, I will put it on the blog. It may take me a little while!

theseventhgeneration said...

Actually, I vacillate about the measuring stick - I know I've taken some photos where I *wished* I had it. Then, I've taken others where I know I wouldn't have used it even if I did have it - I will post one of those next week. Yes, rock piles really are beautiful!

Anonymous said...

A meter stick or a half meter stick (maybe have one of each!), with divisions marked out in 10cm increments, can be used, placed horizontally in front of the cairn. You might take one shot with the stick, and one without. A 120cm stick would be too confusing, since you would have to explain what you are using; otherwise viewers might misinterpret the size of the feature.

Norman

Anonymous said...

In my vocabulary, platform cairns are large, well laid up and flat on top, similar to the images you have taken.

Norman

theseventhgeneration said...

About the meter stick - thank you! I will make one for my next rock hunting adventure.