Wednesday, September 19, 2007

A Few Rock Piles

These are photos of a few rock piles and a rocky outcropping along Melondy Hill.

The first rock pile was found right along a logging road at an elevation of 1841 ft. The thing that I found intriguing about this pile was the upright, triangular rock in the pile. There is another rock pile at the top of this hill that I have not yet seen. I will be going back to find that one and will post some pictures.



This photo is a close up of a 'hole' or natural den in one of the boulders at a very high elevation - 1951 ft. There were several small to medium sized boulder outcroppings in this area, but they were impossible to photograph due to the brush. If the area was clear of brush, the boulders would have been a nice vantage point to look down into the valley.



The next two photos are of rocks stacked on a boulder and a rock pile or cairn. They are about 15 yards apart and are right next to a colonial looking stone wall that runs along the road. The elevation is 1724 ft.




The next 6 photos are of a rock I found at the boulder outcropping site. I don't touch anything on or next to cairns, stone piles, or at any site that appears significant. Because the boulder outcropping site is purely natural, and just an interesting feature of the land, I picked up this rock. I thought it had a nice feel to it, and, so, wanted to look at it more from home. I've looked around on the internet and haven't seen anything at all like it, so I'm inclined to think it's 'just a rock'. However, I can't help but also think that it would make a great knife or hide scraper if I needed to use it for that purpose. It just has a great feel to it when you hold it in your hand. If anyone looking at the photos has any idea, please let me know. Thanks for taking a look!






No comments: