Friday, April 25, 2008

A Foundation and row piles

Here is a little site I found high above the East Branch of Cold Spring Creek. It is closer to the Delaware River (West Branch) than my 'usual' exploring place, and it is right off a creek that flows down into the East Branch Cold Spring Creek.

There is a foundation near the rock piles. I found it very interesting that the foundation is built into some sort of mound, and the mortar used.



The rock piles are in two rows. The longer row is made up of about 22 piles and goes in a northwestern direction (I read it to be between 300 and 305 on the compass).

This is looking back on the first two rock piles in the long row. I believe they are both on the boulder, although it's hard to tell with the one to the right in this photo, because the boulder goes underground on the uphill side:



This is a shot looking over the larger of the two rock piles on the boulder, down the row, to the northwest:



Here is one in the middle of the row:



And this one is near the top of the rise. What seems to be a standing stone in front:



After the rise, the piles are less defined:



The second row is a north/south row. The row is shorter and the piles are smaller and built into the bank.



I was glad I found these now because in a few weeks they will be completely obscured by the bramble.

There appeared to be a point where the rows intersected, but it was hard to make out because of a logging trail just above the north-south row, as well as the northeast row becoming less distinct at that end. Overall, though, a nice site.

I found another site this day, about a quarter of a mile to the west of this site, further up the hill. I'll post details on that site at the Rock Piles blog.

3 comments:

Tim MacSweeney said...

Couldn't find a direct email for you, but I did want to say that I like your inclusion of stone rows in the blog, so I'm commenting on it here, hoping you'll see it.
Following those atypical rows has led me to the best places, and, at risk of sounding like a demented parrot, think they had lots to do with (ancient) management of the landscape by use of fire...

pwax said...

It is hard keeping up with everything you are posting. Good work.

Norman said...

The cairns with the little niche at the bottom reminds me of a cairn I photographed in Washington, MA. If you're interested in seeing this, give me your email address.