Saturday, April 19, 2008

Stone wall with quartz, niches, standing stones....and a piece of wood

Here's a stone wall I found that, although it looks very colonial, has a lot of different rocks in it. So far, I've only looked at about 600 feet of the wall, and mostly one side (the north side). The wall runs east-west. I numbered the first 17 notable features in the contiguous portion of the wall (there are two breaks in the wall between the main length of the wall and the corner). I ran out of numbers at 17 and continued to photograph a few rocks after 17. I tried to stick with numbering only the parts of the wall that had rocks with geology different from the majority of the stones in the wall.

The corner by the road:




The first break in the wall:




Section of wall between first and second breaks:




(all of the 3 features above, together in one photo):



Second break in wall:




The contiguous wall:



Rose colored quartz:


This is #2 (rose colored quartz) with the half meter stick:






(rock to the left of #4 above, taken the day before with no number)





Note the side profile of the standing stone to the left, in the background:




This rock is in the foreground in the picture above:




Note the stone at the top of the wall that is diamond shape, pointing down. I have seen a repeated pattern in this area where a stone is set "up and down" to form something like a pointer rock that points to a gap/space or enclosed niche-like structure below the pointer rock:






This rock is just to the upper left of the standing stone in the prior picture:








These next 2 photos are inside the 'niche' that can be seen to the left of #14 in the photo above.



I didn't number this area because I didn't see any stones of different geology here. However, this construction was interesting to me. When I moved away some of the leaves, there was still a fist sized piece of ice in the leaves here:




Close up of rock at #15:



The next two pictures are of #16 that I took the day before, without numbers. Note, in the first picture, the stone leaning against the wall on the south side of the wall. I did not get a look at that stone yet, since I was doing most of the observing from the north side of the wall.



Here it is with #16 to label this spot:


This area is to the left of #16 and has two very interesting features at the base of the wall - an odd shaped rock and a piece of wood:





Here is where I ran out of numbers:


The wall goes over a boulder or outcrop here:


Note the niche like structure where the wall goes over the outcrop:


Here is another rock of different geology:







This last picture is the only one that I'm not sure where in the sequence it goes, but I liked this because of that huge rock on top of all those smaller ones. I doubt settlers would do this:


So, if you're still looking at all these pictures, thank you! I did this to emphasize how much I really believe this wall was built by Native Americans. This is only about 600 feet of wall with all of these features, and it keeps going. I still have to go back out and follow the rest of the wall up the hill.

No comments: