Friday, May 30, 2008

A mishmosh of things

I didn't get out rock pile hunting over the holiday weekend, but got out for a quick hike on Tuesday. I found a few things "here and there", all on the same one hour hike. So, here are some photos.

An outcrop with odd features. To the left:


Walking around to the right of the outcrop, this overhang was in the "back" compared to the last photo:

Then, some rock piles just in front of the outcrop. They were hard to make out with all of the greenery coming in. I believe this is a Manitou stone:

This was just off to the right of the Manitou stone and set back a little:

Further up the hill was a standing stone, but I am not sure if this is natural or was placed upright like this:

It's pretty thick:


And I'm always suspicious when I find smaller stones placed at the base of an upright stone like this:


One rock pile I was able to photograph, not far from that large upright stone:

It seemed like there were more rock piles around up there, but they were so covered in leaves and so vague, I didn't bother to take any pictures.

Then, at the top of a rise, almost like a large hump, at the very peak of this hill, was a lone rock pile. This was, I think, the nicest one I found this day:


But, nearby and down the rise, I also found evidence of barbed wire in some trees and then one short piece of stone row, but it was not in the same line as the barbed wire and it didn't seem to form a "square":

Just, overall, a confusing area. There was water way up there, too, somewhere near 2000 feet in altitude:


But that is what I've been running into a lot lately.

No comments: