Tuesday, February 17, 2009

More pictures from a NY site

I posted details on this site at the Rock Piles blog. Here are some additional photos. I apologize for the poor quality on some of these. It was a bright, sunny day, but I was working mostly under pine trees. You can see more detail if you click on any of these photos.







Close up of a rock on top of a cairn:

Two similar structures - rocks stacked on upright rocks. First from front:
First from side:
Second:

If you click on this photo to enlarge it, you can see the similarity between this picture and the one above. A flat top standing stone with a triangular shaped standing stone in front of it.


Notice the chipmunk?

A side view of the chipmunk pile:

These piles were on or near the summit.


And this apparently natural but nonetheless interesting boulder on boulder was also at the summit:

3 comments:

pwax said...

Cool pictures. The flat topped standing stone with smaller triangle in front was something I haven't heard of before. Also I think I may start noticing rocks on their haunches more.

I wonder if there isn't a bit of smudge on your camera lens?

theseventhgeneration said...

Thanks! Yes, there definitely is a smudge on the lens that I didn't notice until looking at these pictures. The view screen on my HP camera is broken, so I'm using a spare that my boys usually use. I think I'm going to go back to using the HP. Even with the broken screen, it is a better camera.

Norman said...

The combination of the flat standing stone and the triangular stone in front reminds me of the combinations Nancy Bryant has found in Missouri. An article she wrote is posted in the Archives section of the NEARA website.