Friday, October 19, 2007

The Masonville Cairns

Coming to the top of the hill, the streambed looks like this - pretty similar to the streambed at the Logan site, only the Logan site is not as brushy:




This is how it looks right near the swamp:





And this is the swamp...to the left:



...and to the right:




Now, this is where it gets really tricky. This site is full of underbrush and downed pines that are in the way. The cairns at this site are large, but most of them are so crowded by debris that you can't even walk around them. To give you an idea, here is a photo where I was standing next to one of the cairns (a small piece is visible to the bottom right) and there are 3 more cairns within sight of this cairn. I am 5 feet tall and, of the three cairns within view, one is almost as tall as I am, one is taller than I am at the highest point, and the third is about up to my waist. The one I'm standing next to is up to my shoulder at the highest point.



So, if you're looking at this saying 'what cairns??', here is the same photo, with some outline around the cairns nearby, which you can barely see through the trees and brush:



Here are some photos of the first cairn I was standing next to in the above photos:



The gun is in the foreground, about 3 feet away from the cairn:





I took this photo because of the massive size of that one stone near the bottom of the cairn:



Here is the cairn that is almost as tall as I am:





The one that is taller than I am, from the high side:


And the low side:



Incidentally, the cairn above is on a boulder. I don't know if the proper terminology for it would be 'platform cairn' because it is only about 5 to 6 feet in diameter.

Then, this is the fourth cairn, that is only about to my waist. What impressed me about this cairn was the size of the rocks in the cairn. The first photo is the only one I could get to try to show the entire cairn - it's covered with dead trees and brush. The second one is a close up of the large stones:




Then here are 3 more photos of 3 different cairns at this site:





I really don't have an accurate count of all the cairns here. There are at least 7 cairns and one rock pile. I think there are more, but I have to wait for some of the underbrush to die back so I can have a better look. This site is similar to the Logan site in that it is at a high elevation (just over 2000 feet) and near a spring. It is different in that the cairns are spaced farther apart, larger, and have much larger stones in them.

No comments: