Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Up the Creek

A little further up the creek, I came to remnants of a stone wall to the left, with a stone structure on the 'upstream' side of the stone wall. The stone structure was only about 3 feet away from the stone wall, to the right of the stone wall in this photo (but it is not in the photo).

Here is a picture of the stone wall. It runs perpendicular to the creek. I did not notice any part of the stone wall on the right side of the creek, so it appears to stop here, at the creek.




The structure near the stone wall had me baffled for a minute, but then I started to think it might be a prayer seat. I have not seen very many stone structures that look like prayer seats around here. When I saw this one, I started thinking that maybe that other 'round' structure I had seen in the marker pile area was a prayer seat. I didn't go back to that site this past weekend because bow season has already started here, and I'm not that familiar with the area.



Which leads me to the next picture of the 'right' side of the stone structure, close up. I was out small game hunting and rock pile hunting at the same time. I was quite certain this area wouldn't have any bow hunters because it's so thick with brush - and good for grouse! But I wasn't able to carry my measuring stick with me, so I used a 16 gauge to give you an idea of the size. My GPS is also on one of the rocks in the background.



This is a close up of one of the rocks on the prayer seat:



...and this is the 'left' side of the prayer seat:



So, I'll stop here for today...blogger is having trouble with the photos again, so it is taking a long time just to upload one photo.

2 comments:

stonepilewhisper said...

Great stuff. You have documented some many site in such a short time. I'm so glad you started the blog. I have been to busy to post now that school has started. Good luck hunting.

theseventhgeneration said...

Thank you! I may slow down once big game/rifle season opens - not a good time to be out in the woods taking pictures! But after that it should be good for pictures - with no ferns on the ground and no leaves on the trees. Let me know if/when you want to come out this way to have a look after big game season!