Friday, November 16, 2007

One end of the stone wall

I took some pictures of the end of the stone wall, that is closest to the dirt road, as well as some interesting features of the wall, between the end and the wall bulge.

Here is the end of the wall:





There is also a rock pile right next to the end of the wall. I can't tell if the stone pile was part of the wall at one time, or is meant to be a separate pile, but was damaged. I looked all around for more stones running in the direction of the wall, toward the road, but I didn't see any. The pile doesn't have much form, so I guess that's why it confused me. If it is colonial, why isn't it part of the wall? If it was part of the wall, but, say, destroyed by heavy equipment, why didn't they just drive around it, where there are no stones? (it's very flat right there). Or, is the rock pile left there exactly as the builder left it? It seems to have a niche like structure in it, which could be ceremonial.





Close up of what looks like a niche:



And here's a view of the entire thing - rock pile in front and end of stone wall to the back:



Here are just a few interesting features of the stone wall, closer to the wall bulge. The first two are possible apertures:




This shows a nice upright stone leaning against the wall:

2 comments:

Larry Harrop said...

Thats an interesting wall.
The niche reminds me of the small chambers or niches on the Miner's Farm.

How much room is there inside?

theseventhgeneration said...

I don't know. It's funny you should ask because I usually take photos as close up as possible of niches to see what they look like inside. But this one had a lot of moss and leaves around it, and I didn't want to disturb it too much, so I didn't check out the inside very closely.

However, there appeared to be an opening at the back side of the niche that made me think it might be a see through niche. In the first photo of the rock pile (third in the post), you can barely see the hole coming out the back side of the niche (it is just to the right, below the orange leash). The thing that impressed me was that the upright rock in the foreground of that photo seems to face the rear opening of the niche, and you can somewhat see that in the photo. The second photo shows the distance between the open end of the niche and the upright rock - it's about 3 feet.

I'll be back there after rifle season to check it out some more.