Tuesday, November 27, 2007

A Slow Down

Big game rifle season has kept me out of the woods for rock pile photos lately.

I did manage to visit Arctic State Forest right before the season started. This is an area that I am not very familiar with, but I have some theories about why I think I should be able to find rock piles there, as well as one lead...that there is at least one large cairn there.

I didn't get very far into the woods because of the thick underbrush - mostly 5 foot high blackberry bushes. But, down the southwest side of the high peak, I did find some interesting stone features.

This boulder is the closest thing I have found to a split wedge boulder. However, due to the similar type of rock in the wedge, it seems as though this is an entirely natural feature. I finally made my 1/2 meter stick, so I thought this would be a good place to show it off:




I was trying to find a way to get good pictures of the rocky ledge that I just walked down. It was so thick, I couldn't get a good photo of it from a distance:



So, I walked in a little closer and found some interesting features:







That was as close to that natural cave as I wanted to get. I was feeling quite closed in at that point, realizing that if something came bolting out of there, I really had no place to run except straight through the briars, which wouldn't be very fast. After repeating three times "I've got to get out of here" (I failed to click my heels together, which was probably my downfall), I started to leave. I snapped one more boulder picture, but I don't remember why...



...because right after that, 2 of my dogs messed with a porcupine and it was off to the vet's office!!

1 comment:

pwax said...

The split-wedged rock seems un-natural. It looks like a large fragment was removed from the upper rock and that maybe that same fragment was inserted in the split.