Friday, November 2, 2007

The red boulder

Here are some additional pictures of the big red boulder.

The whole boulder:


A little closer view:


Walking around to the left, toward the upturned side. This is where the duck rock is placed:





Underneath the red boulder is another boulder. The red boulder did not appear to be propped.





Boulder on boulder view from the side opposite the duck rock:



This small tree was growing into the boulder on the side closest to the water's edge:



I recently noticed that there is no visible moss on the duck rock, even though there is moss on the boulder. This still doesn't change my opinion about the duck rock - I don't think it was placed recently. Also, the rock is place in a high spot, so I am not able to view it from the top, unless I was to climb up onto the boulder. So, whether or not there is moss on the top or back side of the duck rock, I don't know.

The coloration of some of the rocks I've seen out here is an interesting subject, and has recently been discussed on the Rock Piles blog. Click here for the link and look for the Friday, October 26, 2007 entry. In this area of NY, I have not seen any pure white quartz, only a few stones with what I think is mixed quartz. I have, however, seen red rocks in what I believe are strategic locations, although that has been under debate. The different colored rocks I've found will be my next post.

No comments: