Friday, November 30, 2007

Road Hunting

Since I haven't been able to get out in the woods for rock pictures, I thought I'd take a quick ride today to look at a different area. I have a new lead on a site southwest of here, so I thought I'd take a ride over there, just to look from the road.

It's on a road that, years ago, I used to drive on pretty frequently, but I haven't been over there in at least 8 years, so I was happy to take a ride there.

Going north on the road, and down a steep hill that faces west, I just about jumped out of my seat when I saw this, right along the road:



And just a few yards down the road from that one was this one:



The picture quality is not that great because I took these pictures from my truck and it was late in the day. They are not on public land. But, there you have it - I've gone from not having seen any split-wedged boulders at all to having seen 3 in less than a month. And now, after seeing these 2 very nice examples (and having some input from an expert in the field), I am convinced that the other one I saw in Arctic State Forest is not natural!

2 comments:

stonepilewhisper said...

This new area looks promising. I like the half meter stick. Did you look at that slideshow of the Overlook Mountain area that I linked too on my blog? The serpentine wall reminds me of the wall in your area.

theseventhgeneration said...

Yes, I agree! I have a photo I haven't posted yet, but I'll post it shortly. It's from over in the Afton area and is a large boulder attached to a stone wall that has the same look to it, as well.