Saturday, November 3, 2007

Two interesting articles

Before I post about the red rocks, I found something very interesting on the internet, that I just have to post.

The first article is from 2005 and may be something that you've seen before. But, since I am new to rock pile hunting, this article is new to me and I liked it. It's about Native American Petroglyphs on rocks in the Susquehanna River below Safe Harbor Dam. Click here for the link. Scroll down for the article - on the right hand side of the page.

What I really liked about the article is that Paul Nevin looks beyond the presence of the petroglyph as being a mere artifact, and understands the personality and spirituality of the Native Americans who created them - and he respects that. About 2/3rds of the way down the article discusses this, and also states "'Indians liked to gather where water, sky and earth meet,' he said. 'The People,' as Indians referred to themselves, observed nature as the 'mother' with respect. They would never deface 'a grandfather', a rock, for anything less than a spiritual or important meaning, he believes."

This next article I found as a link from Google Earth. I think it's interesting that the report states, about the location of the incident, "Witness requested location details be kept confidential", but I found it as a post, or link, on the Google Map. The link to the article is here. According to the Google Map, the location of this incident is in the same State Forest as the large cairn site in Masonville, and is about 3 or 3 1/2 miles away.

Read both articles and see what you think. I know what I thought - immediately - before I even finished reading the Bigfoot article. I do believe that this person experienced what is written in the article. But, I don't believe it was Bigfoot, I believe it was something else.

No comments: